Hey my name's Kyle VanHatten. I'm currently competing as part of Lathrop Academic Decathlon. I joined in October 2017. In January 2018, I broke the Lathrop Record for literature (900) and Lathrop Freshman Overall (6948) at the Fairbanks Regionals competition. I was 3rd overall behind Joseph Wolf and Grace Martin. As part of the latter record, former record holder Sam Lund sent me a letter congratulating me, this began a tradition. At Alaska State 2018 I broke my own record( and what I believe to be the State Freshman Record) with an overall score of 7342.3. I then proceeded to send myself a letter that is now on my wall. At 2019 Regionals, I won overall with 4 golds and 4 silvers, scoring 7673. I fell short of the sophomore record ( held by Will Bishop), but redeemed myself at State overtaking the record with a score of 8055.6. I also got highest from team, gold in honors, highest overall, and 7 medals, 4 gold and 3 silver. Ay Nationals, I produced my best perfomance so far. I was the the team's highest scorer, and earned two gold medals ( Lit and SocSci, Both with 960), qualifying me as a National Champion is SocSci and Lit. While I only got 9th in my division and was brutalized by the competition ( M. Wolff, S. O'Dowd ...) , I take joy in the fact that my Lit Gold was untitied and knocked down Marcus Wolff down to a silver, while also breaking my personal, school, and state records. I hope to return with my team next year.
Note: If any facts I list are wrong, PLEASE message me or correct them yourself. I'm fairly certain on all of them but I could be mistaken.
- Beat JJ Malenfant ( Arguably one of Lathrop's most brilliant people in it's history, who was recognized as the top student in his graduating class in both Mathematics and English Language) at 2018 Regionals by a massive 24 points *
- He had just joined and hadn't opened up a packet yet, whereas I had been there since the start.
- Highest Scoring Alaskan Freshman Score ever ( 7342.3, 2018 State)
-Highest Scoring Alaskan Sophomore ever ( 8187.0, 2019 Nats)
- One of three Alaskan sophomores to win State overall individually( The others being Will Bishop and William Mitchell)
- One of two Alaskan Sophomores to score over 8000 ( The other being Will Bishop).
- Highest scoring Literature score from any Alaskan ( 960, 2019 Nats)
- Highest scoring SocSci score from any Alaskan ( TIE) ( 960,2019 Nats)
- Highest Lathrop Science score ( TIE) ( 920, 2019 State)
-Highest Lathrop Econ Score ( 940, 2019 State)
- Highest Scoring Lathrop Art Score? ( TIE) ( 927.27, 2019 Nats)
- 21 Total Career medals ( so far) ( R3 or R4)
- Medaled in every objective test at 2019 State
- National Champion in SocSci and Lit for Division 2
- Highest Objective Score in Lathrop History ( 6088).
- Raised score from State to Nationals at every instance of attending both( 1, 2019)
- Raised score between every competition so far ( 2018 Reg - 2019 Nats)
- One of the more interesting things about my State medals is the fact that my objective silvers/golds switched from regionals to state.
- Again, my two golds were golds for things I did not get golds in at the previous competition