Does anyone think this seems too broad: "DemiDec Scores and Information Center is a website utilizing the MediaWiki software to record competition results and other content from the Academic Decathlon and the World Scholar's Cup."?
Umm...should ADSIC have its own non-copyrighted, non Demidec-specific version of states that compete at nationals? If so, I have a SVG that I can adjust, based on colors. Samples using USAD Orange and USAD Blue are below. Note the readability of the letters, despite the small size:
- Large Image Sample - http://acadecscores.googlepages.com/usadNationalsMap.png
- Medium - http://acadecscores.googlepages.com/usadNationalsMapSmall-2.png
- Small - http://acadecscores.googlepages.com/usadNationalsMapSmall.png
Blue denotes states that don't compete...so, any input on whether or not we want an image like this?---Collegebookworm
- I'm not sure copyright infringement is happening since we are affiliated with DemiDec. Also, as soon as I get my act in gear, I'm going to start talking to Mike (designs/manages demidec.com) to transfer ADSIC to DemiDec servers. Is that the only reason you're suggesting new images, or do you not approve of the DemiDec ones? If it's the latter then I'll have suggestions then. - Adam 20:16, 1 May 2008 (UTC)
- That's fine...Collegebookworm
- oh yeah, definitely cool and much more relevant then the current image. on the topic of demidec, we're not affiliated with demidec. (yet) gil 23:47, 2 May 2008 (UTC)
- OK, then...any suggestions for an updated version? Different colors, borders, text size, text font, etc? ADSIC Logo in the Atlantic ocean?---Collegebookworm
Suggestion for new main page
I know there was talk of redoing the main page so this is what I came up with: New Main Page
What do people think? The text inside the "Welcome to the AcaDec Scores and Information Center (ADSIC)" box will have to change, but I just kind of threw that in there as an idea of what should go there.
--Adam 13:54, 21 February 2008 (PST)
I love the new layout, but for the regional and state score references at the top, shouldn't we put links to the top three ACADEC states (Cali, Texas, Arizona). I don't think anyone is coming to ADSIC to check out Alabama state scores from years ago. Maybe it's just the Texan in me.Stanley Tree 20:04, 25 March 2008 (PDT)
- I was thinking about that, but thought that was kind of biased so I went with straight lexical ordering instead. If other people think it would be better to use more prolific states then that's fine with me. I just didn't want to use Nebraska, California and Wisconsin and then have people think I was biased :-P - Adam 22:43, 25 March 2008 (PDT)
- Is special:popularpages an acceptable compromise? We would have TX, cali, pa, and az at the top. also, someone must have linked to the "president list" page somewhere because it has a ton of hits and not that long of an edit history gil 19:27, 26 March 2008 (PDT)
- Sounds good, mate. Just as well IMOStanley Tree 19:53, 26 March 2008 (PDT)
- Works for me. And I'd take offense to that citation needed... but it's kind of hard to when it's actually warranted. One of these days I'll put this white and grey matter to use. Maybe not even good use. Just... use. /ramble - Adam 01:13, 27 March 2008 (PDT)
- No pages like to List of Comptrollers/Presidents [ fact check ] (except this one, now). I am willing to bet that its ~500 visits are mostly due to Google's page selection for this site (Main Page plus a random page, usually) when you google "acadecscores" or "ADSIC".
Suggestions for biographies
I think we should allow each high school to submit their own biography. I don't think it will get too cluttered because not all schools are as hardcore into decathlon as others, and those that are will write their bio.
Also, can you fix the biographies for people? Dan's looks good, but some of them are just..bland. --Bunnie 08:57, 6 February 2008 (PST)
Make things pretty
Why don't we delete everything from <--------------------------Five Medalists and Five Honorable Mentions---------------------------> down? Blooooo 19:10, 13 November 2007 (PST)
- On top of that, can we get rid of the Word News section? I mean really, who comes to ADSIC and thinks, "Hmm... I know I came here to find out the state score for California in 1999, but I want to know what's going on in the world before I do that."? Or am I just being too cynical? It's certainly been known to happen once or twice before. - Adam 01:21, 7 December 2007 (PST)
- OK, sounds good, I'm designing a new main page that won't have the world news. I'll trash the 5 Medalist and Five Honorable mentions. KortEverettJackson 12:45, 7 December 2007 (PST)
- to be honest, I like the world news section even though it is absolutely useless
- Errr... Bloooo... if it's absolutely useless why keep it? I mean, it even meets the first three requirements of AfD. And you were the on that wanted to make things "pretty".... so that's one way to get rid of clutter. - Adam 15:58, 10 December 2007 (PST)
- Yeah, it should go. I'm just stating that I like it, and actually until the new main page is up, it should stay because it fills up whitespace with semi-useful info.
- Useless? I thought its purpose was to show we can transclude from wikipedia and wookiepedia. How about Wookiepedia's quote of the day instead?
- Oh is that what it was doing? Well that makes sense. The more time I spend on this wiki the more I realize I probably shouldn't be on this wiki due to my wikinoobness. That and my cynical nature that leads to unnecessary haranguing of things such as the world news section. - Adam 01:49, 13 December 2007 (PST)
Go here for information on how to construct tables: Score Tables
Just a tip for people adding html tables... I really good way to track down errors is to use the World Wide Web Consortium's (W3.org) HTML validator (http://validator.w3.org/). It shows where all the errors are in the page and can usually point out where things went south. - Adam
Should I add this right below "Welcome to AcaDec Scores and Information Center!" (before "Overview and Quick History"?)
Paste it in to see what it would look like.
Madcap 06:18, 6 December 2009 (UTC)Madcap
- 'Twould be better without the "in English" add-on. Otherwise, IDK ... it's nice to look at, but I don't think anyone outside of ADSIC core editors would care. CB...(ö) 07:16, 6 December 2009 (UTC)
- Eh, personally I think it's getting kind of cluttered as it is - I like the idea of a really simplistic main page. There's a reason people prefer Google's search page to Yahoo!'s. I do think that that section needs to be revamped; updated with new information about the site in addition to speaking of the founding / creation. - Adam 06:01, 7 December 2009 (UTC)
news for 28 apr
points in the same eight events to capture it's fourth consecutive Small School E-Nationals championship
mistake i cannot fix.
Fixed, thanks for pointing it out. Madcap 19:43, 30 April 2010 (UTC)Madcap
Organization of the Front Page
Hey Madcap, so I had an idea about what we should to do to help influence the brevity with which we can get news out to the people (by the way, I think you and I between us can cover just about all of it, we've been on some easy stuff lately but it's been up and out quick). Making the recent news a streaming source of news, small or big, on decathlon events and updating it for upcoming events as well would help this website be quicker for those people who get linked here from DDT, which I figure is most of the foot traffic on here. Also, by putting it above the mission statement stuff, it will pop up front and center on most people's browsers.
Also, should we change the logo? Or just the words?Stanley Tree 00:50, 27 October 2010 (PDT)
That link didn't work. Did you mean something like this? Because I don't want to move the "Welcome to DDSIC" away from the middle - otherwise it looks unbalanced. I don't like the main page I pasted below either, partly because the size of the news box changes throughout the year, so it fits best at the bottom. And yes, somebody needs to change the logo. I'll see if I can download an image editing program this weekend. Madcap 18:43, 27 October 2010 (PDT)Madcap
See Recent Changes for new competition results and other additions to the site!
Want to contribute?
Do you have information, but no time or ability to add it to ADSIC pages?
Never fear - dump it into ADSIC:Pensieve and our volunteers can add it for you!
DDSIC is not affiliated with the United States Academic Decathlon or DemiDec Resources.
|Read the following before making edits to the site!|
|Editing Help | DDSIC:Manual of Style | DDSIC:Guidelines | DDSIC:Policies|